Friday, January 11, 2013

Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare Book Review


Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices #1)
by Cassandra Clare
Published August 31, 2010 by Margaret McElderry Books
479 pages

Magic is dangerous -- but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the times is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated -- and torn between -- two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length... everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world... and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all. 

Clockwork Angel is the first in the Infernal Devices series -- the prequel series to Clare's first written, The Mortal Instruments series -- is set years and years beforehand in the 1800s. England is the setting this time with a whole new cast of characters -- the ancestors of the characters we have grown to love in the Mortal Instruments Series. It's set in the same shadowhunting world and some characters might surprise you or seem familiar!

I absolutely loved this book! I've been hearing for ages that this series was just as good or maybe even better than the original series and I was gladly happy to find out that I thought much the same. It's so awesome to have different characters but still enjoy the same world. It's just as much the same as it is different and it's not predictable at all. The story line is different and still just as intriguing  I can draw some parallels between characters and who they remind me of in the Mortal Instrument series but it's not really the ones that are related.

I really enjoyed this fresh setting as well. Being in England and in a different time period really caught my attention again. This world is something that Clare has brilliantly adapted to different places and different people. It's timeless. I still fall in love with the stories. Also, Tessa is a wonderful new character and I love her. I immediately will start reading the next one in the series and impatiently await the third coming out in February 2013. The next one in the series is Clockwork Prince.

There were so many wonderful quotes in this book as well. I forgot to get most of them for this post but here is one that particularly caught my eye and I wanted to share with you.
"Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry."
If you have not picked up either the Mortal Instrument series or the Infernal Devices I advise you to go out right now, stop what you're doing, and go read them because they're simply amazing.

My rating: 5/5
 Buy it:  Barnes & Noble  or  Amazon

Happy Reading!!

9 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! Clockwork Angel was one of the best books that I read in 2011. Have you read Clockwork Prince yet? It is even better than the first book ;) Great review, Maureen!
    Ifrah@Booksters' Cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did read the second one and I just put up a review on it and i do agree that I thought it was as good as if not better! Thank you so much (:

      Delete
  2. I agree with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your incoming updates. Just saying thanks will not just be adequate, for the wonderful clarity in your writing.It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fantastic post. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own blog now. automaty hazardowe

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a couple of points I don't agree with, but generally I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have achieved success in persuading the reader. Congratulation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most of us are thankful to be working, and accept whatever the company gives us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this article, I will be looking forward to read more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete